Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.

    I bought a pair of 801-8As for my A5s before I decided to build the Hiragas. One didn't pass HF so I shelved them for the time being. Now I'm selling them as is, but getting lots of questions.

    So I decided to open them up and see if I could diagnose the issue. All connections seemed OK and all caps looked and measured good, so I thought I'd put my new signal generator/scope to work. I set the SG to a 2000Hz sine wave and hooked it up to the XO inputs. I started tracing the HF signal and it was fine entering the L-Pad but that where things went bad. I soaked the L-pad with Dioxot and finally got a good output signal with the knob wide open, but as soon as I started to attenuate, the signal got squirrely.

    Prognosis: It will be fine with a new L-pad.

    So does anyone know off hand which Parts Express L-pad will fit the bill?


    As a side note, while I had the scope hooked up I ran the signal generator through the range of frequencies from 100Hz to 15K. It was fun to see the LF voltage output drop as the Hz rose. I could have plotted the slopes if I felt like it, which come to think of it, might be a an interesting way of profiling what a crossover is doing independent of its reaction with the drivers. If I'm not careful, I might actually learn something.

    8
    Last edited by alancohen; August 3rd, 2013 at 07:04 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.

    You're giving up too easily. If it's salvageable that stock pad is made with as good or better materials than most any replacement you'll find. Leftover NOS Violet L-pads are getting hard to come by these days, and they're the only thing i'd offer as "better".

    Those old pads Altec used will come apart with a little persistence and care. A light buffing of the wiper and resistive NiChrome winding with some deoxit soaked extra fine steel wool and follow up with de-oxit preservative should buy you another 20 years out of that old pad.

    Unless it's literally burned up, there's not much to go wrong in there, it just gets tarnished and cruddy over time. If you have really bad luck like me, some slag of a backyard technician will have sprayed WD-40 in the pots which will clean up with hot soapy water and a lot of love for the hobby.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    You're giving up too easily. If it's salvageable that stock pad is made with as good or better materials than most any replacement you'll find. Leftover NOS Violet L-pads are getting hard to come by these days, and they're the only thing i'd offer as "better".

    Those old pads Altec used will come apart with a little persistence and care. A light buffing of the wiper and resistive NiChrome winding with some deoxit soaked extra fine steel wool and follow up with de-oxit preservative should buy you another 20 years out of that old pad.

    Unless it's literally burned up, there's not much to go wrong in there, it just gets tarnished and cruddy over time. If you have really bad luck like me, some slag of a backyard technician will have sprayed WD-40 in the pots which will clean up with hot soapy water and a lot of love for the hobby.
    Great...another project Thanks, I'll get it outta there.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    Great...another project Thanks, I'll get it outta there.
    The satisfaction of fixing them will make you feel good, and you can put the money you'd have spent on replacements into something for one of "your" projects.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 801-8A dividing network repair.

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    The satisfaction of fixing them will make you feel good, and you can put the money you'd have spent on replacements into something for one of "your" projects.
    Even better than that, I was going to sell the for $100 as is. Now I get double plus saving the money on new ones. If this works, I just got my Hiraga's for free. Hoo-ah.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.